Master builds for OSX and Windows, an update

So I spent three full days trying to make working builds for OSX and Windows. Mostly OSX, with a side-dish of Windows. Here’s a short update. I’m using this git repository as a build system. It’s basically a set of cmake extern projects, one for each dependency. It’s still a mess, there are definitions for dependencies we no longer need, like glew.

Both on Windows and on OSX, I setup a development tree with this repo, a build directory for the dependencies, an install directory, a download directory and a second build directory for doing Krita development.

I’m using Qt 5.6 alpha, by the way, compiled to exclude dbus and some other things.

OSX

On OSX, there were some weirdnesses: OpenColorIO seems hardcoded to want myptch as a patch command, not just on Windows, but everywhere… That needs patching, of course, or symlinking patch to mypatch.

Eigen3 doesn’t want to build because it needs a dart file for some test setup which we don’t want to build. Patch in the cmake project.

Qt’s macdeployqt needs patching as well, the patch is in the cmake project. After building Qt with -rpath, it became necessary to manually set the rpath on desktop2json: as built by kcoreaddons, it won’t run because it cannot find Qt.

Finally, I managed to build everything including Krita. In order to run Krita, it’s necessary to use macdeployqt to deploy all plugins, libraries and frameworks to the app bundle, and then manually use install_name_tool to add @executable_path/../Frameworks to the rpaths of the executable.

But… Somehow, macdeployqt refuses to deploy the QtNetwork framework out of all Qt frameworks it deploys to the krita.app bundle. No idea why, yet, I had to stop debugging that because it was bedtime… More next weekend, but it is progress.

Windows

On Windows, I use the same kritadeposx repo: the name is wrong. When everything works, I want to add the externals definition to krita’s repo. In any case, with some coaxing, I got most things to build. Almost.

Qt was a bit of a problem: QtDeclarative just doesn’t build with Visual Studio 2015. Not sure why, for now I didn’t need that module.

Then it turned out that ki18n cannot find the gettext executable. I could bull past that by commenting out the line where it looks for it, but then the same happens when trying to configure Krita. It needs more investigation why this happens.

At that point the laptop overheated and shut down and I wasn’t motivated to start it up again, so again more next weekend… With hopefully more progress.