June 27: Summer in Orcus by T. Kingfisher, as antidote to a couple more Hugo finalist DNFs (military SF, “Game of Thrones on the Moon”). “Of course it bites. It’s a weasel. They don’t kill their prey with pretty words and poisoned sweetmeats.” At times it’s clear that it started as a serial but it does make sense and fit together. Recommended!
June 23: Elemental Magic, an Elemental Masters short story collection which I thought I must have read ages ago but the stories are all new! Many of them American, which is fairly new to me as Elemental Masters go. Skimmed one because it was very Western (as in cowboys and frontiers) in flavour and I wasn’t in the mood for that.
June 21: — perhaps some of it on June 20 but I’ll mention them all in a bunch. And I read some of these at the beginning of the year, too, but they’re good enough to periodically reread, especially the one about Queen Elizabeth.
– Like As The Hart: Harriet pines for Peter. A week seems very long. (I do wish writers wouldn’t write “the Duchess” to mean Honoria Lucasta, the Dowager Duchess. The Duchess is Helen.)
– A Winter’s Afternoon: Atmospheric Peter and Harriet piece. Funny that I read a story about the shortest day of the year on the longest day of the year.
– Mister Vimes’d Go Spare!: how Discworld gods are made. Two of them, at least.
– Majesty: Queen Elizabeth II visits Hogwarts.
– Ladies Who Lunch: Of course the Dowager Duchess of Denver and Miss Jane Marple become friends as soon as they get the chance.